European Commission - Joint Research Centre
The RBAPS project is trialing a measure for perennial crops in the mosaic landscape in Navarra using assessment indicators which are surrogates for measuring the actual biodiversity. In Navarrra these assessment (or result) indicators relate to the extent, diversity and period of herbaceous cover, evidence of traditional grazing practices and quality of traditional boundaries, rough grazing areas and structures (dry stone walls and huts) valuable for wildlife.
Location of the schemeone region
Pilot project in 3 municipalities in Navarra (Northeastern Spain)
Duration of the schemeSince: January 2015
Until: June 2018
Objective(s) of the scheme / project
- Landscape amenities, including recreation, tourism
Which habitats or species are in the focus of the scheme / project?
- Habitats (incl. habitats of Fauna-Flora-Habitat-Directive (FFH-D.))
- HIC 6210 (*) Semi-natural dry grasslands and scrubland facies on calcareous substrates (Festuco-Brometalia) (* important orchid sites).
- HIP 6220* Pseudo-steppe with grasses and annuals (Thero-Brachypodietea)
- HIC 4090 Endemic oro-Mediterranean heaths with gorse.
Which indicators are used?
- Species (incl FFH and BD)
- Landscape Elements
Extent, diversity and period of herbaceous cover, evidence of traditional grazing practices and quality of traditional boundaries, rough grazing areas and structures (dry stone walls and huts) valuable for wildlife.
Design of scheme / project
- Pure Result Based Payments
Farmers were paid depending on the level of results achieved. In terms of payment increments for each level of achievement (i.e. score), payments rates for the low-medium quality scores were set at levels sufficient to cover the costs of farmers’ participation in the scheme, whilst also incentivising further progression towards delivery of higher quality outputs. Payments ranged from 120 to 600 euros per hectare.
By which fund(s) is the scheme / project implemented?
How are the incentives (payment levels) calculated?
- Based on the costs of management actions
Scheme also included ad-hoc payment for non productive investments
Is there a top up in case of reaching the goals?
How many hectares are in the scheme (year 2020)?
- Less than 100
How many farmers take part in the scheme?
- Less than 50
How are participating farmers supervised/advised?
- Advisors visits (obligatory)
One-day classroom and field-based workshops were held for participating farmers
Are there any evaluation results (2020)?
GEstion Ambiental de Navarra S.A.